View Single Post
Albatross2008
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
344 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 07, 2019 at 03:42 PM

Right, I don't do "cheat days." Someone told me I'd be more likely to stick with it if I allow for treats now and then, but my daily protein shakes are like treats to me, and they satisfy that craving. I add fruit, and count the extra calories. A "cheat day" would only kick off big cravings and lead to a full-blown relapse. Which I suspect some people *want* me to have, because then they feel better about themselves.

It was the same way with my mother and cigarettes. She quit smoking for a whole year, and then celebrated her anniversary by lighting up a cigarette. She was going to show everybody that she had control over it now, and she could smoke just that one cigarette and be OK. Well, predictably, she went right back to smoking, and it took her a long time to quit again. I quit in 2007, and I know the same thing would happen to me if I smoked just one cigarette. I quit drinking in 2008 (that is, relapsed for the last time) and I know the same thing would happen if I had just one drink.

So just one high-calorie, high-fat dessert would undo my progress recovering from food addiction too. My daughter is a recovering drug addict herself, and I would never suggest to her that she should celebrate her clean and sober time by getting high.
Albatross2008 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi

Thanks for this!
bizi, Blknblu