Thread: Gaslighting
View Single Post
Lilfae

Member Since May 2018
143 hugs
given
Default May 08, 2019 at 02:36 PM

My parents used to gaslight me. My mother mostly, while my father had more of the flying monkey role. But I'm 34, and I still have a hard time trusting my own feelings and judgements. I can feel something, and simultaneously question myself if I'm _really_ feeling that, or if it's just an act. Even if no one knows about it, so there's no one to act _for_ but myself. I didn't realize that I was neglected as a child, and that my mother was verbally and emtionally abusive, until I was 32 or so. I always just thought that I was unreasonable, and a bit of a drama queen. That I was a difficult child and teenager. It's sort of a cliché that children will support their parents and believe that they themselves are the problem, but it's ironic, cause I thought I understood it. Then all of a sudden I figured out I had been doing that exact thing, not having any idea about it whatsoever. If I heard someone tell about experiencing the exact same things, it would be very obvious to me, but I just couldn't think that way about myself or my parents. I'm still figuring out new aspects of it.
Lilfae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes, Thirty shades, unaluna