View Single Post
FearLess47

Member Since Apr 2019
267 hugs
given
Default May 09, 2019 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
everyone processes their trauma events in different ways. some write about it, others do artwork and others do talk therapy, some do edmr and others do dbt, cbt and other kinds of things like taking a walk, yoga, meditation..

processing is just when a person is able to take a problem, think it through and solve any problem areas they have with that....

example I have a PTSD problem with nightmares. I process this by writing about it and figuring out why that nightmare bothers me. I have an anxiety problem. I process it by breathing, taking a walk, meditating.

think of it like how did you process using your computer, or finding psych central or figuring out how to post... you thought about it then you took things step by step and worked your way through all the different elements that it took to do those things.

what your therapist is saying according to your post is that you are both still getting to know each other so you wont be starting to talk about your trauma memories and such right now. later after you get to know each other you can decide if you want to talk about your trauma's.

therapy today isnt about making a person feel the pains of the past. its about stabilizing whats going on in the present. for people with dissociative disorders that means learning how to not dissociate... learning things like grounding, breathing, relaxing and working on not dissociating when you get triggered today this past week, tomorrow. it isnt about 20 years ago this that and the other thing happened to me.

if you really want to go back to the past and relive the past trauma and pain thats your decision later on. right now she wants to work on what problems you are having in your present daily life.

only you can decide whether it will do you any good to dig into and feel the pain of the past.

for me I did want to nor did I have to dig into the pain and trauma. just dealing with my daily life and stabilizing my daily life, learning to recognize my dissociation symptoms and how to use my grounding, breathing and relaxation techniques enabled me to stay present / not dissociated which in turn healed me from having DID.

times have changed and with it therapy for DID.. its no longer the stuff you see in those movies and sensationalized books. they dont hypnotize, nor require you to rehash traumas over and over again (unless you bring it up and you want to cause your self to go through that pain and trauma)

therapy for dissociative disorders its more oriented to healing instead of causing more trauma and pain to happen. the focus is on learning ..........not..........dissociate when encountering triggers. learning how to do self care/ self nurture and manage your life while fully focused/ aware/ mindful. and not acting out in negative ways that affect your life in negative ways.

many USA states have ethics laws now against those old treatment tactics of requiring clients to dissociate, go through their past trauma's or calling out alters. many states and mental health agencies have mental health laws and ethics that require treatment providers to work with dissociative people in a non traumatic, non dissociative promote staying focused and aware kind of work and only dig into the trauma's .........After....... the client has the ability to stay aware and not dissociate while working on the trauma and actively participate while fully aware/ non dissociated. (this is supposed to promote a faster healing process and limit those that may be the kind of person to dissociate for attention or sabotaging their treatment plans.)

my point is your treatment provider is making sure you have everything you need for a stable life today before dealing with the past.
@amandalouise - This is the most helpful thing in the world to me right now. It makes so much sense, then, why my new psych and therapist both mentioned it is not necessary to "go back and feel X,YZ." It was such a a relief.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I think it is because I had a very rocky and scary experience with my first EMDR "trauma" therapist. It was almost as though she wanted me to "go back" and "find the event" or source of when the things happened, and to talk about how it felt in my body at that time. I would completely tumble backwards into dissociation, so badly, that it was overwhelming and now that I look back (and process it, ha ha) I understand that that was traumatizing trauma therapy. EMDR, Touching techniques and things. I didn't know how to say no...and I thought it was what I had to do to get the stuff out.

One more interesting thing...since I am also having many physical challenges involving spine surgeries, pelvic pain, bladder issues, etc... I often get scared that my body is throwing in all these red alerts to divert me from going back to all those traumas. Like "DON'T LOOK THERE. YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT." In my mind I was blaming myself, for having physical issues on top of the dissociative ones, thinking I was too wimpy to process my trauma.

But my new T said, let's reframe that. What if...your body is attempting to keep you in the here and now, to deal with today, to heal and pay attention today...and to NOT go back and put myself through hell.

Thank you once again for your willingness to share.

FearLess47

Hugs from:
amandalouise

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, hope2010