View Single Post
Amyjay
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 10, 2019 at 01:29 AM

Fearless, you truly can fear the process less now because the understanding about healing from trauma has completely changed the focus of trauma therapy nowadays. I too had some bad experience in therapy from years ago where "processing the trauma" looked like becoming completely dissociated and destabilized in pursuit of a healing that never came. Trauma is not healed by re-experiencing it, but by staying within the window of tolerance with one foot firmly anchored in the present at all times. The first aim of trauma therapy is all about grounding, forming an alliance with the therapist, and developing skills for staying within the window of tolerance. It is ONLY when those conditions are met that it is safe to begin to look at the trauma. Transforming trauma can only occur when you can stay in the present.

I have been with my current trauma T for nearly two years... she still says I am not ready for trauma processing. When triggers come up (multiple times per session) we are still all about grounding and containment. A week or so ago we (ourselves) pushed too hard on trying to figure something out and went into complete shut down. This weeks session was all about grounding again.
My T says "if you're getting lost in the trauma then we're doing it wrong." As slow as it is, I do find this is a MUCH better way of doing therapy than my experience of years ago.

Here is a free webinar you can watch. It's aimed at therapists, but I am getting a things out of it. It's just basic strategies for trauma therapists. Unfortunately there is only 1 seminar left, but you might find it useful. I have watched all of them. Treating Trauma Master Series - 5 Part Series on the Treatment of Trauma
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote