Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 11, 2019 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
That sucks this whole three months is supposed to be about dealing with dissociative disorder issues. I will be sure to ask her if she can help me in other ways then or I will end up having to stay with my Psychologist.
I didnt post what it was in frames of thats all that will happen with this therapist.

my point was that I was wondering if you knew what those things are in the list you posted or if you just saw the list and went " this one looks good, think Ill see this one" and then later on you discover it wasnt what you thought it was going to be.

many people that I know see a whole list of things a treatment provider does and thinks "wow this is a good therapist for me" with out actually knowing what those types of therapy are.

my suggestion before choosing another therapist, when you see lists like this actually check out what those therapies are and decide whether those things are for you.

now you know what SFBT is. move on to checking out what another one is in that list...

example...

do you know what Family Systems is? you can find out that information by looking up and researching Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS)

Do you know what Gestalt therapy model is? or what Expressive Arts Therapy is, or what psycho dynamic therapy is, or what Person Centered Therapy model is? or any of the other kinds of therapies in that list.

my suggestion is never go into therapy with someone unless you know exactly what the therapies are. that way you know what to expect from you and from the therapist and you can find yourself a good match for a therapist.

I know so many people who just jump into seeing this therapist or that one and then end up with lots of complaints and problems because that therapist isnt a good match. if you want a good match you need to know what types of therapy techniques work for you then find someone who does that therapy technique.

really check out those things on the list before making your decision of if you want this kind of therapist and do the kind of work that they do. Always, Always check out what services they offer, what therapy techniques they use, and always check out what their expectations / rules and such are. that way you dont waste alot of time with someone who doesnt match up with your views are of what you need and want to do in therapy.

when I am choosing a new therapist I treat it like people do when they are buying a new car or new house. its not going to work if it doesnt fit me.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, koru_kiwi, Rive1976