View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default May 11, 2019 at 10:04 PM

That's my job history; fired last year from a substitute teaching job of five years that caused me to lose my apartment and move in with my elderly mother whose dementia and health is so deteriorated she is now on the waiting list for assisted living some time this summer.

So my options (realistically are, and not guaranteed) for housing:

-find a year long single dorm room at the university where my 2nd grad school program is located and apply for fall (summer housing is too late and closed)

-find a roommate on Craigslist

-find an affordable (and probably located in sketchy neighborhood) studio apt.

-distant cousin in another state who lives with 2 roommates has a spare room but she is an alcoholic manic depressive on disability; the room rent there is $500 a month but the environment with her and her roommates would be volatile, full of partying and craziness (per her Facebook posts which is how we connected from our mutual first cousin).

I can't live with relatives (estranged from both siblings who are married w/kids), and the housing for homeless here is not reliable. My SUV would cover me until winter b/c MN is horrible winter-wise.

-My credit score is below 650 so I'd need a cosigner for any place I rent

-I have no savings (so please don't rag on me about using savings as I have none)

-I get a student loan financial aid refund every semester for the summer and fall and had to apply for a Grad Plus private loan (rejected, so I had my mother cosign it) and that is pending. If I don't get it with the cosign, I have to drop out after this fall of my grad program b/c I don't have enough financial aid anymore to cover the rest of the year program.

-My stuff is in a storage unit that I'm 2 months behind on payments b/c of lack of consistent income. It goes to auction in a month so I have until then to pay it back or I will lose everything I own.

So what I need to find:

-A decent paying full time job that isn't horrendous (preferably one that pays more than $27K a year b/c taxes here take out $7K of my single tax filing)

-A safe place to live that I can afford to live and pay rent to even if it means living in a college dorm as a middle-aged adult

If anyone has ANY constructive advice please feel free. I am scrambling and I know from past experience that when you are in my unstable position, it's easy to grab the most desperate choice available which is usually the worst choice. I've done that for 32 years (since 16 years old).

My sister is not emotionally supportive and actually told me on the phone tonight some rather mean things to me; about not being a grown up and not being responsible. Basically, your typical "pot calling the kettle black" type of thing ( people should not criticize someone else for a fault that they have themselves).

Hugs from:
KD1980, rechu