Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2015
2,609 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 12, 2019 at 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyC View Post
i have a question and answer honestly...

do you ever get too old for self harm?

personally for me you don't "grow out of it" you start and rarely stop...at least in my case
I was told this by a counselor AS I ADMITTED TO DOING IT!

I truly wanted to just walk out of that office .. but back then, I was a person that would just sit there like a punching bag no matter how much or who flung the abuse at me.

The counselor even had the nerve to laugh at me - bc I was 35. Told me I was just doing it for attention.

I will tell you the truth. I did it bc I was hurting so bad inside there was no way to get it out. I did it the way I did - bc nobody would listen when I would say what was wrong. They would laugh or tell me I was lying or that it wasn't that bad, etc .. so.. I made sure they had to view it n read it, if they would not listen. So it served a dual purpose for me. It was cathartic. It was a means of expression (not attention) so people understood.

I have not done it for close to 10yrs now - but the past couple weeks, the urges are strong again. What keeps me away is I remember how it stopped working unless I dug a bit deeper - and how I also had a sense of shame about doing it and how proud I am of being clean of it.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
dphoto