Lilfae

Member Since May 2018
143 hugs
given
Default May 12, 2019 at 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
As the idiom reads, "you can't judge a book by its cover."

Ever notice from these news stories that the pedophiles are the people who work closely with children in public roles like teachers, mentors, camp counselors and school principals? Even politicians, and beloved celebrities in the Hollywood circle are pedophiles. If you dig deep enough through the internet, you can find stories about these people and how truly depraved they really are behind closed doors.

As a little kid, I loved listening to Michael Jackson's music. But when stories started leaking to the press about his pedophilia with the teenage boys who visited his ranch with their parents consent, I think I was in my late teens, early twenties and I immediately stopped supporting MJ's musical legacy. A lot of artists I admire, have turned out to be really horrible people. Where do we draw the line between loving the art created by the artist who is a depraved person? Is it possible to like MJ's music yet abhor him for being a closeted, protected, pedophile?
Those last two questions are really difficult for me too. I do think it's possible, I think a lot of people do both, but it's difficult to know what is right to _do_. -- I'm writing his/him/MJ now, but I really mean it in general, not just about MJ -- I think you can see the art and the artist as seperate; MJ is not his music and his music isn't him. But still, what do you communicate if you play his music, knowing about what he did?I wouldn't be ok with people selling MJ merchandise to children. I personally wouldn't buy anything that contributes to his legacy. And I'd be uncomfortable with playing his music in schools or other children's settings. But Heal the World is often used in schools here - or was, I don't know, and it's understandable, cause it does have a very nice message. But then, a lot of other songs have that too, so it should be possible to find lots of great alternatives. I'm thinking, if Hitler or Ted Bundy or whoever had made music or some other kind or art, most people would boycott it.

I don't know, I don't have any good answers. But in general, I find it hard to enjoy anything that I know was made by someone who abused others. I find it hard to admire great historical architecture and historical artifacts in museums when I know that the people who owned these things, only could do it because they oppressed, abused, raped, enslaved and killed lots of other people. In lots of cases the people who made them may even have been among those oppressed. I think you can _like_ something, yet not _enjoy_ it, I guess.

This was all rumbled up, so I don't know if any of it made any sense..
Lilfae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Cardooney