View Single Post
Amyjay
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 12, 2019 at 02:21 PM

Yikes, sorry they are doing this, Angie. I hope they proceed very, very carefully if they intend to wade into trauma territory without any safety nets in place. It seems highly counterintuitive to do that when you are not stable (and goes against established treatment guidelines).
I guess the only advice I would give would be to take control of your own therapy if trauma treatment is too overwhelming for your system, and tell them you do not want to do any more stage 2 work.

It really is super, super important to get a good hold on grounding skills, staying in the present and to establish safety in your life before diving into the muck. Anything else is foolhardy. In my own treatment I am still working on stage 1 skills, two years in. Although we are making progress it is painfully slow. Whenever I ask my T about beginning trauma processing she kind of laughs and says "Oh no, you're really wanting to jump right ahead, aren't you?" Looks like I'm stuck in stage one for a bit longer.

For you, if you are inpatient and trauma work is destabilizing you to the point of self harm I would say that is a clear sign you are not ready for trauma work. I would tell them.
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FearLess47

Thanks for this!
FearLess47