View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default May 12, 2019 at 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=Emily Fox Seaton;6529268]
Quote:
My suggestions, entry level state local or federal job. (even if this is less than 27K - which it won't be) you get raises every year and it ads up)
Here those types of jobs take months to be interviewed for. I don't have months to wait for them to decide to interview me. Those applications are monotonous to complete, and require hours of time to complete because they are between 3 to 10 pages long of answering questions and attached documents. Total waste of my time. I've applied to local county and federal jobs before. Not going to waste my time on those anymore but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Go to a temporary agency, secretarial / accounting etc. The key here you usually can work for a temp job for 8 or 12 weeks and then qualify for unemployment because you were not working through no fault of your own.
I already joined temp agencies. They are not reliable as a source of income. There is no time frame when an assignment will become available. You are at the whim of the recruiter's candidate selection. You cannot control when/if the recruiter considers you for any available contract work. I call in every week and tell the recruiters I'm available and looking for work. That is all I can control.

Here, you cannot collect unemployment as contract-work doesn't qualify for it. If it did, I would be collecting it as a former contract-substitute teacher. Every state is different. My state doesn't recognize temporary work of any kind, as eligible for unemployment benefits. To receive unemployment benefits, you cannot be a temp worker of any kind or work in retail. You must have had a full-time, 40-hour a week job to qualify for unemployment. I don't qualify.

Quote:
My state allows you to get paid as "adult foster care" where you get paid to care for your elder parent. The reasoning is that it will keep the elder out of a nursing home (which the state pays for). Not sure if you can qualify.
Again, you have to take a test and get certified to receive PCA here (personal care attendant) before you can collect PCA paychecks and can't be employed anywhere, as a temp, or anything. I don't have the money to do the certification and my mother will go into assisted living by August 1st. Otherwise, I would have done that six months ago when I moved in. But I looked into it, and it wasn't worth my time. I wouldn't have made more than $100-200 a week anyway, after paying more than $1000 to get certification as a PCA. Not a good financial investment.

Quote:
When I was desperate for a job I applied at small little places like a law firm that just had one attorney and I said to the guy, I can see you are worried about hiring me. How about this, I will work for 6 weeks for free. If you like my work you can hire me, if you don't I just ask for a reference. I got the job at a good wage. (basically he was too lazy to fire me once I was in there).
I can't do that. Doesn't work like that here unfortunately.

Quote:
I go with roommate. Going to school means spending money you don't have. Don't use craiglist there was a site called "roommate match" which I found which was better.
Roommatematch.com costs money that I don't have. I am using Craigslist because it is free and convenient.

Quote:
Are you tied to where you are living? You can find some amazingly cheap good homes in the south -- north carolina etc.
I can't afford to move out of state. That's not an option. If I had savings, and a job lined up, and a reason to move out of state, it would make sense. I don't have savings. I don't have a reason to move out of state. And I don't want to move out of state.

All I want, is to find a full time job, and an affordable place to live. And finish my graduate degree program if I can get the extra financial aid approved.

Last edited by FooZe; May 12, 2019 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: administrative edit to bring within guidelines