Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 13, 2019 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
Different people feel differently about this sort of thing. Some people don't mind being called diabetic, some people do.

Others should respect your preferences in this matter if speaking to you directly. Otherwise, we all should respect other people's preferences with this kind of labeling, even if they're not ours and don't match our opinion. It's like respecting the pronouns of someone who is goes by non-traditional genders.
Those people aren't being called diabetic in a derogatory sense. Furthermore there is a difference between saying someone IS diabetic and calling them A diabetic. Also, people being called diabetic aren't being called it in a derogatory sense. And the examples I was using were specifically in a derogatory sense to demean the person. And by the way, they don't like diabetes being used as a punchline or insult either.

You've completely missed the point and are contributing to the stigma in this, and that makes me sad. This is supposed to be a safe place.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341