View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 13, 2019 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
The context I was referring to was specifically using those labels to be insulting to the person, like their illness is some kind of identity or character flaw.
Thank you for elaborating Seesaw. I have had both experiences in my life: people who wanted to help or understand and people who wanted to judge. What works for me is to remember that my thoughts and feelings about myself do not have to depend on the attitudes of others around me. I was actually really surprised once when an offline friend shared her true thoughts about depression. She did not know about my diagnosis and shared her belief that it is a form of attention-seeking. She does not recognize depression as an illness. I was stunned for a few moments. I did not share with her. Later as I reflected on her words I thought: I am glad for her that she has never experienced depression and therefore does not understand it. I wouldn't wish depression on anyone. So basically her words were a cue to me that she would not be someone I'd share my struggles with and that worked out okay. She's actually a very kind person; just has no idea about depression. I don't know if this helps you Seesaw? Just sharing a few of my thoughts.

Hugs from:
Open Eyes