View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default May 14, 2019 at 09:19 AM

I make a great deal of art. It doesn't matter the end result as it is the process of creating that is therapeutic - and the messier and hands on the better. This includes multi-media and soft pastels; things I need to get my fingers into. Occasionally I hit on something worth keeping. I suppose if you Huck enough darts you will eventually hit the bullseye. I also love to cook as this too is a form of creating. Again it is the process. Not all creations are perfect.

I used to read a lot but my concentration isn't what it was. Instead I write. I avoid journalling however as I tend to ruminate. Also, in order to battle the poor concentration I try to complete at least one puzzle a day (logic, sudoku, etc). It helps keep me sharp too as I feel the medication dumbs me down.

I try to spend time out of doors. I have no yard so getting my dog out means an average of 5-6 walks a day. My therapist has asked me to pick something each day to concentrate on so I am in the moment. For example I have discovered there are 12 white vehicles on my street between the front and the alley. I have discovered that most birds in the neighbourhood are chickadees and have concentrated on the sound. As my therapist has said, 'feel' the walk, 'own' the walk. What do I hear and see. How does the touch of the ground beneath my feet, the sun and wind on my skin feel, etc. It is helping.

Finally, I have a CBT Yoga workbook I have started which shows great promise.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote