Thread: Getting worse
View Single Post
GSC2019

Member Since May 2019
Default May 14, 2019 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
You know, sweetheart, I'll share with you that I do that a lot of the time too. There's a voice that never leaves me, that tells me all kinds of awful things about myself. I can't do this, I can't do that, I'm no good, etc. And over many years, with advice from spiritual teachers that I trust, I've realized that it often gets worse if you fight with those voices. They say it often works better if you just let them bleat on in the background and don't actively engage them, while you quietly go about doing what you know you need to do for yourself, in your life as it is right now. Taking it a couple of minutes at a time. If you are alone in the evening, is there something you can do to comfort yourself? Distract yourself? Calm yourself? Until you can go to bed and go to sleep? Write about how you feel? Write a poem?
Not to deviate your advice; But when is distraction a compulsive behavior to the obsession vs. a natural process that is of beneficial nature?

If you have thoughts or obsessions and you purposefully distract yourself wouldn't that be compulsive behavior to temporarily feel better?
GSC2019 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote