View Single Post
TicTacGo

Member Since Dec 2016
47 hugs
given
Default May 14, 2019 at 03:10 PM

Hi there!

As far as I know, lithium is usually not used with another mood stabilizer such as Lamictal. If the one is proving ineffective, then it is possible to switch to the other.

Lithium can be used to augment an antidepressant, but not with the use of Lamictal at the same time (to my knowledge).

If you are bipolar II, or at least likely to be, has it ever been raised as a possibility that antidepressants may be causing mood instability? I know that you have only had a hypomanic-type situation once, but I guess it could still cause instability on its own (which is why a mood stabilizer would be good).

Lithium, like Lamictal, needs to be tapered up to the therapeutic dosage. You will get regular blood tests to check the lithium levels in your blood; this ensures that it does not become too high and you start feeling sick. There are certain tips doctors may give patients taking lithium such as drink plenty of water and avoid (excessive) alcohol intake.This all still has to do with the lithium levels in your blood and making sure they do not go beyond a certain amount.