FearLess47

Member Since Apr 2019
267 hugs
given
Default May 14, 2019 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacGo View Post
Thank you @still_crazy:
I have had a change of meds as well in any case- am still taking Effexor, but now taking Abilify instead of Lamictal. I will bring this up with my psyche.
Hey TicTac...
Just wanted to say I have had a lot of luck with Amitriptyline over the years. It is kind of an old fashioned tricyclic antidepressant that is not used for that much. They use it off label for many things, such as chronic pain and to calm nerve type flares.

Originally I was put on a low dose of Elavil for the nerve pain in my fingers and arms after a spinal fusion that went bad. The first time I went off of it my nerve pain stuff came back. That happened a second time. Years later, I was still taking it (am still having more back surgeries!) because it seemed to have helped and pain seemed worse off of it.

I started with a new psych doctor and he and I decided I would go off of it and see what happened. Well, 9 days later I had the most horrendous IBS and Interstitial Cystitis Flare. I hadn't even thought abut the Elavil. I made an ER appointment with my urologist and the first thing she said was "go back on."

Sooooooooooooo.....who knows? None of us do! It might and might not interact with meds you are on. It can cause sleepiness, or help one sleep. It can cause constipation or none at all. It can help reduce the pain signals sent by the brain. All I can tell you is it's been an unintended life saver for me, for bizarre pain syndrome types of things.

Sending you much luck!!
FearLess47