Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 15, 2019 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
LT--I didn't really get why there had to be a big (it seemed big) discussion about playing a song for him. But I do understand him wanting to know what you wanted from it so that you wouldn't be disappointed. That makes sense. I know when I shared a song via text message with former T she just said something like, I could see why that song means a lot to you (or something like that). It wasn't about what she got out of it, but that she could see me through the song, or something like that. I wonder if that is how it is for you? Seems like a good session though. Great job about not having a lot of anxiety over meeting with your friends. That seems like big progress. Well done. HUGS Kit
I'm not sure. I think it felt a bit like rejection, how I'd mentioned it a couple times in the past (along with the showing him pictures thing). And I guess I just needed to know why. Like why not just say, "Sure, if it's something you want to do." I appreciate that he's trying to avoid having me do something with certain expectations, then being let down by his reaction or just from the experience as a whole not leading to what I'd hoped to get out of it.

I think the issue is, in discussing it so much (over a few sessions, one being months ago), now it almost feels like a bigger thing. Like if the first time I mentioned it, he was like, "Sure go ahead," then I probably would have done it, and then it would have turned out however it did, I likely would have just moved forward (maybe played something again, maybe not).

But I know he's trying to be careful and responsible and a good T. Yet there's this element of, I want to express myself, and it seems like he's saying, "eh, maybe?" instead of go for it. (I mean, of course there are forms of self-expression that *wouldn't* be ok, like if I wanted to take my clothes off or destroy his office or something.) So I have to wonder if this is tapping into something else in me, like from childhood maybe? Like when my parents wouldn't let me express myself a certain way? (Well, my mom always refused to buy me a guitar, for one. And said I had too much music, so if I bought a tape or CD--with my own money--I'd often sneak it into the house. So maybe this is tied into that in some way? I'm still contemplating playing something (fairly short, maybe a pretty straightforward song) at the start of session tomorrow, and if it feels too weird after a minute, I could turn it off. Or if he is just sorta like "Uh, OK." And the discussion doesn't go anywhere, we'd have plenty of time to discuss something else...
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty