View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default May 16, 2019 at 09:28 AM

Intellectually it is not reasonable to believe in an afterlife. We certainly cannot know. Yet, I have had an eerie experience that rather shook this belief. If I could choose a belief it would be in reincarnation as that comes the closest to making sense to me but I'm still not sold on the idea. It is absolutely illogical. Still, our physical bodies are reincarnated (matter is not generated it is constantly in a state of change and redistribution). Those adherents of reincarnation would say thus our spirits then are redistributed too. All I can say though is that I conduct myself morally and ethically so it wouldn't really matter to me anyway.

This is a really interesting discussion point to me. I am an agnostic despite growing up in a Christian household. My father is an Anglican Priest but he is also a professor of Philosophy. I get frustrated by this on account as a (intellectually Mensa brilliant man) I cannot begin to grasp that he would believe the very story (virgin birth) that identifies him as a Christian. His choice though. We do however have pretty good discussions on this point. He has actually written books on the subject of 'faith and a life of reason'. They are too high brow and academic for me though. But this discussion is quite relevant as he is at this time writing a book on the subject for the non-academic and about to go on a lecture tour on the subject.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote