View Single Post
comrademoomoo
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2019
PC PoohBah!
Default May 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannahsays View Post
I'm a little bit uneasy for you if you go in with the plan of just playing a song because you've been thinking about it for a long time - and just want to do it and see what happens. The reason I feel this is because I think there is a risk that it will not achieve whatever it is you're hoping for (I realize you don't know what that is), and that will trigger things in some way. I am under the same impression as Artley regarding your possible motive/hope behind sharing a song. Of course, it might be something else entirely, but I think if you are hoping for connection through the music, you will probably be disappointed. I think I read on the couch that this could be some way of communicating something you don't have the words for. The thing about that is music is such a personal thing, and people can have completely different reactions. Plus, your therapist isn't big on music. It seems like you might be trying to communicate something in a language he won't understand. I'm not especially worried about him requesting the lyrics, as he's right that it can be very difficult to tell what musicians are saying. But that does seem to indicate that you're going to have to put what the song means to you in words. Even if you don't need him to feel what you feel when listening to a song, I do assume you want him to know what you feel. So if you're going to do this, I would at least try to identify those feelings beforehand.
I agree with this. I think it is an uneasy thing to do and I feel awkward and ungainly reading about the prospect of LT doing it. Teenage feelings. I also think this could be part of the work - exploring what it is to be misunderstood, to not be able to share an inner experience, to have the mixer tape go unplayed by your crush. The heartbreak! It's hard and it's potentially embarrassing, but it's a lovely piece of work to come out of something as seemingly innocuous as wanting to play a song in therapy.
comrademoomoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight, susannahsays