View Single Post
Elio

Member Since Sep 2006
8,780 hugs
given
Default May 16, 2019 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenot07 View Post
I dont think most therapist dislike clients or say things that they really dont mean but they use techniques that create a false sense of emotional intimacy even if its well intensioned. This only exist when both parties are emotionally involved. When and where else are such personal and intense interaction limited to 50 minutes slots of a very specific time and date?

***** major disclaimer... I am talking of my experience and my needs in therapy. Different people go to therapy for different needs and will have significantly different interactions with their therapist, the frame, and relationship. *****

A false sense of emotional intimacy or a specific type of emotional intimacy?

You are right that a therapeutic relationship is not like other relationships. In fact, it is purposely not like other relationships. If it was just like every other relationship; how would it help one change, heal, or whatever word you want to use here. Also, if it was like other relationships in your life, why are you not getting whatever is bringing you to therapy through those relationships - why do you need therapy?

At least one of my goals through this relationship is to be able to better understand my needs so that I can start to find ways to get those needs met in my other relationships and from the appropriate people in my life based on the relationship I have with them. In order to better understand my needs; those needs need to be brought to the surface. I can't really work with them if I have them so walled off that I don't feel or see them. How else to get them to come forth than feeling safe enough due to the relationship having a type of emotional intimacy for them to be wanted/needed/desired/felt?
Elio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Forgetmenot07, speckofdust