View Single Post
Forgetmenot07

Member Since May 2019
51 hugs
given
Default May 17, 2019 at 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2.0 View Post
My therapy hasn't been about validation, or similar to your experiences although I do agree therapists are not "in it" with clients. For me, I don't want that. The only validation my therapist has provided is he has encouraged me to take risks to get what I want, to focus on myself, and to understand myself and the sometimes baffling world around me. I don't really need validation because my therapy is focused on my internal world and there's nothing either good or bad about it, it's more an exploration of what I've been through, how it's affected me, and how I want to change. And then how I have changed, and what that means to me. Therapy for me is also self care because I work in a stressful and painful area of law.
I understand that your experience is different to what most of us share in this thread but to me it's because you go in therapy less focused on relationships and more on just recounting your story. i think you come from a much more balanced place than lot of us who don't know our worth or value. I think thats when therapist validation takes the central spot in therapy.
I think those who struggle with loneliness or low self esteem easily get caught in a trap of this strange arrangment. its almost like a quick fake fix because we dont have to concider any of the social norms of mutual interaction, the limitations of every persons attention spam and patience or their prejudice. All of the sudden the spotlight is on us and we can explore all those irrational, needy, self-induglent ideas and it creates dependency because what is normally not ok in real life suddenly become ok in the room. Even though I know this is a service I pay for, it makes me disatisfied that I can't recreat it in real life.
Forgetmenot07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SalingerEsme

Thanks for this!
here today, MoxieDoxie, SalingerEsme, scapegoat0001