View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 17, 2019 at 05:36 PM

Interesting view points from everyone! I don't actually agree with the idea that the world is becoming worse and worse than ever before. I think objective research from all over the world does not suggest that. Some things have gotten much better. And yes, there are some major and very serious problems in our world. We aren't perfect as humans therefore our world is far from perfect. But I like to look for the light and the love too.

I think I can understand both perspectives: those who want children and those who don't. I only take issue with some parents for two reasons:

- when they suggest that non-parents are "less than" them (we aren't, nor are we "better than" parents)

- when they neglect and/or abuse their children

I'll admit to you folks here that I have often wished that my own parents had never had children. They had a large family despite being completely unprepared or capable of healthy parenting. Not only do I see the long-term harm this caused myself and my siblings....I also have to watch the same effects on my siblings' children.....history often repeats and repeats and the cycle continues. Sometimes, in my family, it's like watching a multiple car pile-up...you want to look away but can't out of shock and confusion and there's also nothing you can do to "fix" or "reverse" it.

That is one (though not the only) reason I opted not to have a baby: to end the cycle or at least my part of it. I have no idea if I would have been a good parent. My friends and partner are convinced I would have but who knows?
The fear that I would parent the way my mother and father did...that I could potentially add misery and lasting anguish to a whole new generation...was enough to make me think more than twice.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote