View Single Post
Anonymous40127

Default May 19, 2019 at 12:22 AM

Quote:
Hi Chemist
I hope you don't mind that I quoted you (bold)...to link your ideas to my responses. I would NEVER tell you what to do. These are your choices in life. I'm just sharing my thoughts about your posts. You can take them or leave them No offense taken

Thank you for taking the time to advise me. I appreciate it.

Quote:
This is a very important observation about yourself and at the same time you are dismissing it. I wonder why? I'm going to ask an obvious question here. If you do not respond well to stress, why do you want to have one of the most stressful jobs on Earth? Perhaps you'd like to give this more thought.
I am dismissing it because I think it will be fixed / won't affect my performance as a doctor. Only and only if I get proper treatment and take care of myself, I account for that in the future. I am not completely sure that is going to take place like that in reality, but it's just my wishful thinking that may come true.

Quote:
In order to take care of others, as a doctor or any sort of healthcare provider, a person must maintain good health for him or herself. "Burnout" in the medical field is now considered an epidemic in the U.S. and I imagine that's the case in plenty of other countries. This leads to substandard care, medical errors, patient deaths, providers with mental health problems etc. At this point in your life, I recommend making your health the priority over career or job decisions. Those can be figured out in time....health needs to be addressed promptly.
What do you need in order to have better health? Do you know? You are young and it may not seem like it now but you are currently laying the foundation for your future health. Think about ways to support body, mind, and spirit (need not be spirit in a religious sense).
I have nerve damage to my arms and legs. That and I have ophthalmic problems (although my ophthalmologist says it's good relatively, and I should not panic) and those problems "may lead" to driving license problems as my ophthalmologist said. Those are two of that concern me the most. I also have epilepsy but it's managed.

Quote:
They sound very much like my parents. They were unable to provide me with financial or emotional support but I have done well for myself. I would not dwell on your parents' limitations. Look elsewhere for support....often that will be from paid professionals (therapist or spiritual guide or life coach) if there are no close friends or folks in the community you're connected to.
I am sorry you weren't treated fairly by your parents.

Yes I look out for close friends and relatives whom I talk to for support. But it doesn't really go beyond talking.

Quote:
I think of this as the other way around. Doctors aren't focused on the science behind medicine; that's what medical researchers do. Doctors of course have to learn the medicine but their focus is on the application of the science to humans; that's the daily job. Have you had the opportunity to shadow physicians in your area? I recommend that to anyone interested in a particular job. It's one thing to learn about the required credentials; it's another to actually see what that job looks and sounds like on a given day. You of course cannot know what it feels like for them just by watching but you'll get a very good insight into the actual work. And if you meet a good one, they'll share with you their joys and frustrations about their work.
PhDs do their work on very "isolated" areas, such as how a PhD will work on their specialty which is very narrowed down. Doctors on the other hand still have more potential for wider scope of study and much more variety in their job. That's all. I actually cannot shadow anyone but I will ask my internist about how it's really like to be a doctor.
Quote:

I don't agree with you here Chemist. For one thing, it's not possible for a human to remove the human from his or herself. And good doctors MUST be in touch with their feelings....not only to protect themselves against burnout but also to empathize with their patients. Professional boundaries? Yes of course but they are not robots. They are with humans at the worst times in their lives and the job involves constant ethical dilemmas for which there often isn't an easy or black-and-white answer. Neil deGrasse Tyson is not a physician, right? He has a PhD in astrophysics and teaches and does research, yes? I thought you were referring to MDs as doctors or am I misunderstanding you? What Tyson does in a day is completely different from what a MD does each day.

The way you think and present reminds me much more of a researcher than a physician. Though as I said, I think your priority needs to be self-care and improving your health. You mentioned a psychiatrist....do you have a good rapport with him/her? Can you open up and have a dialogue with them about these ideas....comfortably without feeling judged? If not, seek someone else to talk to. Find a MD or several who are willing to chat with you about their work and allow you to shadow them.

I don't know if this helps you. You have time here. I'm much older than you and have successfully worked in two different careers. Now I'm pondering over a third. My goals and values have shifted over time with age and different experiences. You are young with plenty of time to deliberate and plan. Remember that life is a journey; not a destination. What would make your journey interesting and enjoyable in your opinion? What do you want to be doing when you leave home each day until you return? Why?

Peace and best wishes to you!
My psychiatrist is very objective when he talks to me. And sometimes he doesn't talk at all. He treats me like I am garbage. And unfortunately I cannot switch my psychiatrists because my parents do not allow. So I guess I was wrong about that one where I said "doctors need to be completely objective" My psychiatrist is the only one I maintain a regular contact with and he's very, very inhuman when talking to me. He acts like he doesn't care all the time.

Would I make a good researcher? Yes. But I don't want to enjoy 10% of science when I can enjoy, say, 33% of science if I choose to practice as a doctor. Is medicine all science? Of course not. But I cannot find a better match as my career, if I talk all theoretically.

I am sorry that I am not "listening" that I should get a PhD (as others have advised) but I do not know. I know there are a lot of factors that I cannot change and are against me getting in and getting through med school, but my mind won't listen. Every once in a while it reminds me of medicine.

Thank you all.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous44076