View Single Post
saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Default May 19, 2019 at 09:14 AM

@Forgetmenot07 Seems to me like we get a choice between self-care, building own confidence in the future, digging deep for our own resources - and relying on someone else. I have friend with good insurance who have purchased the attention and care of great therapists. I myself have always had to choose between therapy and eating/ having a safe roof over my head. I did for a while live in an unsafe home and I saw a great therapist who helped me as a favour because she was terminally ill.

As I got older and my financial responsibilities increased, I tried out a number of increasingly rubbish therapists. The last male therapist was so super-expensive and so ridiculously-untactful that thank goodness I decided to take a good look at myself and to go it alone. Really some middle class therapists should be corralled into only dealing with people from their own cultural backgrounds: this guy told me that "after working with refugees" he knew "for sure" that no one could be tortured enough to entirely lose sight of who they are. I guess sitting in an armchair all day talking can get you that way!

It's been tough getting to know myself and going through crisis without therapy, but I've learned found a way and I have a couple of friends and neighbours who support and respect me for that.

Therapy is a historical construct - just like Twitter, Facebook, the Internet, it really got big during the 80's and 90's. I think that it's partly addictive because peer groups do therapy and like to discuss it together.

All this said with a smile, but also to point out that you have choices. I'm grateful for my wealthier friends who went through therapy and have learned a huge amount by hearing about their experiences. I'm thankful for the therapy insights around on the net, but it really is NOT the only way of healing, nor the only way of thinking about life's challenges.

Hugs your way!

Saidso

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Mopey

Thanks for this!
Forgetmenot07, missbella, Mopey