View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default May 19, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
Thanks guys. I am asking more about forgotten flashbacks. For example I remembered something that happened years ago I forgot about it then remembered again the other day. Is that still a flashback?
Yes that is still a flashback.

What Happens In The Brain When You Have A Memory Flashback

Quote:
The hippocampus is important for forming associations so that the different parts of a memory can be later retrieved as a single event. While the amygdala is involved in processing emotional information and making basic responses to things associated with fear, such as recoiling from a snake.

Trauma causes the opposite to happen.

The amygdala instead up-regulates increasing fear while the hippocampal processing is decreased, disrupting its ability to bind and distort memories into a single memory.

Brain imaging revealed that negative memories showed an increased activity in the amygdala; however, how the items in the memory fit together was not remembered.

Also, the activity in the hippocampus was reduced, thus reducing associations. This results in strong memories for the negative content of an event without the context of the event being encoded. This causes the trigger to activate the same response in different situations as the brain is unable to know that the same thing is not happening.

Basically if there was a blue towel when the memory happened, the brain will activate the same sequence of events (as if the person is back in time) when a blue towel is seen. Let me expand on this by an example from my past.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Lilfae