Lrad123
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
372 hugs
given
Default May 19, 2019 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
I don’t think my last post explained things so good, so I highlighted your patterns I was referring to. Rationalizing is a defense to avoid feelings. I listed your pattern of using rationalizing in bold. Red is your feelings, which is the content of this type of therapy and how you work through this. You keep trying to understand—to rationalize—the email, which prevents you from processing the feelings—the red--and moving forward.

Your words show a lot of conflict, too, and pressure from your superego, which impacts how this plays out.

ItÂ’s not a bad thing at all-itÂ’s just part of the process. ItÂ’s just sooo slow. You donÂ’t want your defenses to just disappear overnight. I wouldnÂ’t worry about rushing it, but if being stuck here bothers you, you could try to discuss more of the red both in and out of session (but especially in session) and not focus so much on the bold.

I would imagine you did this growing up in terms of your parents and how they treated you, trying to 'figure it out' rather than feel the emotional pain of not mattering.
Thanks for your thoughtful response as usual. I just don’t understand how this is supposed to change. You explain it well, but he never does. At the end of our last session he agreed that he’d be there with an email response if I “ever *really*needed him” which of course I never will. I feel guilty because it feels like I forced that response out of him which was not my intention. It just happened.
Lrad123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight