View Single Post
littleblackdog

Member Since Jan 2017
11 hugs
given
Default May 19, 2019 at 01:20 PM

Does anyone have any experience of therapy via email (good, bad, indifferent)?

I had a first session with a psychodynamic therapist last weekend (first time doing therapy that wasn't CBT or similar) and it did not go well.
She said some things that upset me and made me feel she was judging me, but the main problem is that my self esteem is practically non-existent and so sitting there talking to someone who didn't respond just made me more anxious.

I emailed her and explained all of this and she replied saying that she doesn't think that talking therapy is best for me at the moment, but suggested that as I "express myself beautifully through writing" that we do therapy by email. I would email her and she would set aside 50 minutes a week to reply and charge me the usual rate for a session.

My main reservations are that she didn't mention the bits where I said she had upset me, and I worry that she would just cherry-pick certain parts of my email to reply to.
Also, I think it would feel too impersonal, and am not sure how this will help with my not knowing what to say/worrying that I am saying something stupid or boring her.

My main problem is that I don't really have any other options. No other therapists in my area are taking on low-cost clients and medication doesn't work...
littleblackdog is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote