Thread: Tough love.
View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 19, 2019 at 01:22 PM

"For example, genuinely concerned parents refusing to support their drug-addicted child financially until he or she enters drug rehabilitation would be said to be practicing tough love"

In response to your question, Iliovar....the above example does not work in most cases based on the research. Rehab only works if someone wants to do it, chooses it, and feels supported rather than forced or coerced. There is a middle ground between enabling and coercing. Though when chemical dependence is involved, that middle ground is very challenging to find and establish. And there of course needs to be a different approach based on whether the parents are dealing with a 'minor' child or a much older legal adult.

There were clinics who used to apply a "tough love" approach to girls struggling with anorexia. The girls were sent to inpatient clinics where they were told they could not see or hear from their families again until they started eating again at regular intervals. I probably don't need to tell you the outcome. it did not "cure" their eating disorders but added to their trauma. Increasing a person's sense of alienation (via forcing them into rehab or to eat) does not actually help them to heal.

I don't know if there are still clinics who take that approach to eating disorders but I do know that was attempted at one stage. And we all know what used to happen to anyone with a mental health problem back in the day. I won't post that here....too cruel.

Last edited by Anonymous44076; May 19, 2019 at 01:36 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Betty_Banana