View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default May 19, 2019 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyrself View Post
— I think akathesia is better described as restlessness. Once I had taken my pill w dinner, I really felt I had to get out of the house. The folks at Walmart knew me quite well!
I know most people walk all over the place with akathisia. I recall walking all around the hospital ward on Zyprexa. However, I got such a horrible case on Geodon that it caused me extreme distress. I couldn't even walk that much when it became particularly severe. I just laid in my bed rocking the lower half of my body back and forth constantly and sometimes grunting in a type of agony until my Ativan kicked in. I had tried Cogentin, but had to stop it because it gave me such severe constipation that wasn't alleviated by anything I tried. I had to choose between never going to the bathroom (#2) or dealing with daily periods of mental restlessness.

I have almost always taken propranolol, but though that curbed my tachycardia and eased Lithium tremors, it did nothing for my akathisia. Eventually, I had to be taken off Geodon. Geodon withdrawal is pretty rough, too, even coming off of it quite slowly. Many months from 160 mg to zero. Akathisia was hell! Sometimes I think about how I feel nowadays without it, and it's a HUGE relief! I really pity the people who suffered with akathisia long-term in the long ago past when 1st generation APs were all they could take. It's a shame that many 2nd generations still cause it.

I hope hope hope Seroquel XR and/or Latuda never cause it for me again.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
hope2010, still_crazy

Thanks for this!
still_crazy