View Single Post
littleblackdog

Member Since Jan 2017
11 hugs
given
Default May 20, 2019 at 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio View Post
I got more than 50 mins a week for my money. I'm not sure I'd like her arrangement depending on what she is charging. One thing I liked about betterhelp was that I could email as often as I wanted and I often got 1-2 replies a day (weekdays). This allowed the emails to feel more like a dialog.
I don't really like the arrangement: the was she proposed it was that I email her during the week but she only sets aside one 50 minute session to reply and so there would be no dialogue. I think that paying £50 for one email a week is a bit steep, and I worry that if she just ignores half of what I say then I would end up feeling worse and getting increasingly frustrated.
there are no other email based schemes here, that I am aware of. I did try online CBT but again, only got feedback from a real person once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
As for email interactions being impersonal - one of my best friends is someone I met online, we never met in person, but have been interacting regularly a lot via email for almost 5 years now.
Also, I guess you could start via email and switch to in-person (or maybe phone) sessions if you feel you need more or something different. Perhaps even a more direct, instant messaging-type communication, then you could ask for feedback in the moment.
I also have friends who I met online, and who I communicate well with but I am just not sure how her blank slate approach will translate to email and, given that in our correspondence so far she has ignored the most important points (and where I asked her direct questions) I have reservations about how well this would work.
The aim would be to try this for a few months trial, with the aim of building up to face-to-face sessions but I am not sure I will be comfortable with her methods.
It is frustrating because I know that I CAN open up and talk to people, I was able to communicate with previous therapists (even thought the actual therapy was not helpful) and I am able to talk to my GP (who is fantastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1934 View Post
I could see email as appropriate for a supplement to traditional psychodynamic therapy, but how would that kind of therapy even work in that medium?
This is my concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
Yes, I think it’s worth a try too, LBD, with the understanding that that’s what you’re doing, trying it out. Her seeming reluctance to address strong feelings directly bothers me, but that’s something you could address when you reply to her.
I might suggest a short trial (even a couple of weeks) initially to get a feel for whether this is likely to work (i.e., will she answer all of my points if this is a formal replacement for a therapy session).
littleblackdog is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote