View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 20, 2019 at 09:13 AM

I would just bring it up straight, as in "I noticed from your website that you offer homeopathic medicine services, but I have a hard time with the idea of that, because the science suggests that it is not effective. I'm having trouble with reconciling our beliefs. Can we have a conversation about this?"

Often I think it is difficult for people to accept differences of others they are close to. I don't see what homeopathy has to do with your therapy. If your T had a different political opinion or voted for a candidate you thought was a lunatic (not that this ever happens in the UK ), would you feel the same way?

And for me, I sometimes discuss alternative modalities for mental health/physical pain with my T, and I have alternately used acupuncture, herbal medicine, and (gasp, homeopathy, because I'm such a dummy) with good results for longer than I've been in therapy with him. I'm sure if someone did a poll on whether people discuss alternative methods (including light box therapy, which he also suggested a couple of years ago and I've found helpful for SAD symptoms) with their T's, I'm sure I would be in the minority.

But my T does know a lot about the neuroscience of trauma, including using his CLE's to attend seminars by leading researchers in the field at a neighboring big city. The fact that he understands this literature and can use it to help me understand some of my responses more deeply is really helpful to me. So I wonder if the real question for you is not about homeopathy and your T, but if knowing the science of depression or whatever issue you are bringing to therapy is what's important to you, perhaps you can frame your question in that way.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
SlumberKitty, unaluna