Thread: Tough love.
View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 20, 2019 at 02:03 PM

I found this psych study really fascinating. Also on the tough love theme.

Researchers compared professor responses to college students who had an event during the semester (such as illness or a surgery). The college student is requesting flexibility with an exam date or deadline for a paper. The researchers assumed that professors who had personally experienced something similar during their college years were more likely to offer the flexibility and support than the professors who had no such experience. They found the OPPOSITE to be true!!! Professors who'd never had such an event were more likely to reason: "That sounds really stressful, sure, take the exam when you are feeling better" whereas professors who had been ill during their college years were more likely to reason: "Nobody did me any favors when I went through that....I had to tough it out so why should I give my student special treatment? No, I'm not offering a new exam date, you can take it that date or lose a % of your final grade."

Fascinating, right?!

Some of the most judgmental comments I've heard (offline) about people living with chem dep were from people already in recovery. Some depressed people judge me for not taking medication. Some depressed people judge others for not doing therapy.

Humans, we are a mucky bunch aren't we?

Last edited by atisketatasket; Jun 01, 2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Guidelines
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote