Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,275 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 20, 2019 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrees View Post
Thank you for the post Seesaw. Yes, I think 12 people could probably come up with 12 different definitions of tough love and their own examples. That's why the exploration is so interesting per Iliovar's thread here.

With regard to person first language, I think this was addressed by DocJohn in the guidelines and a recent thread. I did not couple "depressive" with a pejorative therefore I have not violated the guidelines here. I felt comfortable using that term because I live with depression myself. I don't find the term offensive. There are times when people use the shortest version of a phrase or word in order to be efficient with language and communication. Depressive is faster and more efficient than "people living with major depressive disorder." Sometimes a sentence can get unwieldly with long titles and the idea gets buried under the phrasing.

I did not say that depression is a personality trait. I am well aware that all sorts of different people can present with depression from various walks of life. They are unique individuals. Remember that I live with it myself (lifelong) so I don't need to be educated on what it is.

If you feel very strongly about person-first language, even though it was already addressed by DocJohn on the recent thread, perhaps you'd like to discuss again with him? I believe I am within community guidelines and I also think that we need to respect that different people with the same illness are allowed to have different feelings about the language around it. The moderators can certainly correct me if I am wrong about the guidelines.

As a middle ground, I will refrain from referring to you directly as a 'depressive' Seesaw. Wishing you peace and a good day.
I wasn't suggesting that you were breaking community guidelines; I didn't say anything of the kind. I was, as I said in my message, encouraging you to state it in another way. You did refer to "some depressives", and I find referring to the group of people who suffer from depression as "depressives" offensive, so it wasn't just you that you referred to. You are free to state it as you want to, and I'm free to mention that I dislike that term in reference to those of us that have this condition as a group.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous40643