Magnate

Member Since Oct 2017
736 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 21, 2019 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes View Post
First off, I'm in my early 20's and diagnosed by my pdoc with schizoaffective bipolar type, but I'm going to an IOP where I'm diagnosed bipolar 1 with psychotic features. Either way I'm struggling with mood swings and psychosis.
So the IOP pdoc says bipolar is worse in the early 20's and thinks I won't have an issue with my disorder in just a few years. Now I've been on enough forums and in enough hospitals to know that mood disorders and psychotic disorders aren't just a young person thing. I'm not sure if he actually thinks that or if he thinks he's giving me hope or what.
I want to know if he's right that late teens/early 20's are the worst. I've also heard of kindling theory where it gets worse as time goes on so... idk.
I personally think it is foolish for any doctor to be making predictions about how a patient will turn out. There is so much variability and a big factor is how a person responds to medication and how compliant they are with taking them, in addition to doing all the other things that make for mental wellness.

I believe I have had a loss of cognitive functioning as a result of each manic episode. Or maybe I just have chemo brain. But this cognitive fog has not impacted my mental health bipolar-wise. I just make more mistakes doing simple things and cannot do anything complicated.

I don't think though that my bipolar is going to get any worse than it has been in the past. I hit 'rock bottom' in my last episode and have avoided getting psychotic symptoms since then by taking an AP and by making sure to get enough sleep. I have a fitbit to help me keep track of that. If I am not getting at least 7 hours then I take an extra olanzapine until my sleep is ok again. Maybe this is the 'special sauce' that will keep me sane.

2.5 mg olanzapine
tecomsin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
fern46

Thanks for this!
fern46