Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 22, 2019 at 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
No one here did this to themself.

Though it's true we seek what we need, the problems happen when the therapist doesn't know how to recognize and manage their own transferences and then engage with your patterns. Outside of therapy, you might expect it, but not with therapists. They are supposed to recognize these dynamics and deal with them appropriately before the consequences become catostrophic.

It's not the client's fault. I realize you have your own perspective, but it's sad to see some you blaming yourself.
When I and others with a tendency to self-blame and take (over) responsibility for what goes on, to be an adult child in situations where our needs aren't being met -- interacting with therapists who need/want to be seen as "helpers" can be a real trap. I thought I was doing something good for myself, that would get me to a better place in life, but all I was doing was going round and round on the therapists' wheel. Makes me feel pretty nauseated, now. And maybe that what is needed -- throw that stuff up -- the over-responsibility, the swallowing c**p that can't be digested (because it's fake and not real). Ugh!

Pretty miserable feeling, though, going through it. . .Will it ever end?

Last edited by here today; May 22, 2019 at 05:21 AM..
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous56789