View Single Post
Anonymous56789

Default May 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I also personally believe it is perfectly possible to see something quite clearly and still act out in the moment. Could state my experience with addiction, for example.

I think it is possible to have very clear and accurate insight/understanding but not adjusting actions to always match that.
Yes, I agree with this and have experienced this a lot too but personally, by the time I worked through my transferences, I was surprised at how much I didn't see and wasn't aware of. It was truly amazing.

I also see it in others outside of therapy very frequently, including people with no known trauma history. This can include someone at work relating to me as if I was their mother. Everyone has distortions regardless of what approach you view. The defense mechanisms and transference exists outside of psychoanalytic practitioners. Denial, repression, dissociation, etc. prevents people from 'seeing' quite often--this is common.

The opposite happens too-if you have a good T who doesn't engage in your patterns or enmesh, the client can get very angry or distressed and quit, ending badly. If you have relationships that follow a certain pattern and outcome, and the T doesn't follow the usual or desired pattern, then it can be extremely disconcerting but still be outside of one's awareness. So damage can be done regardless of therapist skill, so I am acknowledging that possibility here.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Xynesthesia2