View Single Post
Anonymous56789

Default May 22, 2019 at 12:44 PM

You may be interested in this as it's one concept I have in mind in terms of thick transference and inability to see.

I've always said idealizing transference is the same as falling in love outside of therapy. This article (non-psychoanalytic) explains how the idealization (transference) blocks your sight of things. This happens in therapy every day but tends to be stronger in analytic therapy. That transference distorts reality is so common that there are sayings, poems, hundreds of songs, novels, etc., written about this concept because of how common it is. "Love is blind", "blinded by love". This is the exact same thing as transference.

The Science of Being Blinded by Love

Science Proves that Love is Blind

Maternal/child and romantic/adult are not mutually exclusive either as they are more similar than different. The articles talk about that a little bit too. These are all psychoanalytic concepts revived. I think it all has evolutionary purposes.

Quote:
The scientific evidence further validates Ben-Ze’ev’s point. In 2004, the BBC reported on a study that found that the brain scans of young mothers looking at pictures of their own children were similar to the scans of people’s brains who were romantically in love. “The researchers found that both romantic love and maternal love produce the same effect on the brain. They suppress neural activity associated with critical social assessment of other people and negative emotions,” the BBC reported.

Whether it’s love blinding you to a ****** diaper or a ****** person, bottom line, it blinds: As lead researcher Andrea Bartels explained to the BBC, the study concluded that love deactivates brain waves that we normally use for criticizing a person’s behavior, while strengthening the parts involved with the brain’s reward system.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote