View Single Post
Forgetmenot07

Member Since May 2019
51 hugs
given
Default May 22, 2019 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I like this, too, in most situations of life. I personally do not tend to agree with views that, in therapy, the client can do whatever and everything should be the Ts responsibility to keep together, tolerate everything etc. Here we mostly talk about adult clients in outpatient services, so not so severely impaired individuals who are unable to make basic judgments and see their side of the construct. Even in the context of therapy that does encourage certain feelings of dependency etc in people that are prone to that or find that hierarchy emotionally appealing. I also do not believe that only people with seriously unmet needs and early life traumas can fall in the trap of such dependencies, it is much more complex IMO, and I often find it frustrating and annoying how simplistic the "therapeutic interpretations" can be. They can easily make people chase concepts and interpretations that have little or no relevance to their unique situation and history.

In any case, I do believe it is very healthy to look at these situations from various angles, including how our (the clients') own limitations distort and drive an experience. This can also help draw better boundaries and not accept any BS Ts or, more generally, the therapy industry are pushing ordinarily. Plus try to stop attempting to mind-read or except that anyone can do that (to Anne's point above).
I agree, after all it is two adults sitting in the room, and even if money is the currency its not T responsibilty to tolerate all impulses and meet unmet longings. When I read this forum I realise Ts should be better trained to recognise when the depenency or focus on them (rather than problems we bring to therapy) get too strong. Instead of leaving it till last minute, when its too late and we are 'hooked' and then cutting some sort of privilages (hugging, emails, phone calls, extra sessions etc) the should maybe gently make the patient aware of their observation or promt us to look inwardly at whats happening to us and our feelings?
Forgetmenot07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, Xynesthesia2