View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 22, 2019 at 05:47 PM

Hello notsure2019. I am sorry you are struggling with this. It sounds very stressful and sad.

Do you want your friend to see a therapist or does he want to see a therapist? That's an important distinction. There are lots of ways to find support if a person truly wants to change their life and feel better. Suicide prevention call lines, depression call lines, many therapists offer therapy over the phone or via Skype for those unable to come to an office or too far away.

As much as you love a person, you cannot take on the responsibility for another adult's mental health (or even their physical health). If he wants help, he will seek it. It does not sound like he wants that so you need to let him make his own choices.

Have you considered talking to a therapist for yourself? For support and coping strategies with how this situation is impacting you? I think that could be really helpful.

You may also want to read about enmeshment and think about ways to clarify your role in his life. You said you were his partner but also needed to leave so are you now his friend or still a partner....that sounds confusing for both of you.

Some people become severely depressed and do not want help; they would rather die. Some people do end their lives. That is their choice; it is not the fault of those who love them. Love from another person isn't enough to keep someone alive; he or she has to choose life for his or her own self. I am telling you this as someone who has lived with depression her whole life. I had to seek help for myself. I had to choose life even in the depths of despair. People helped me when I was open to it but first I had to want to live and actively choose (and continue to choose) life over death.

I hope you can find some support for yourself. I wish you peace and hope. I'd encourage you to step back a while and talk this over with a therapist. Best wishes to you.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote