View Single Post
saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Default May 23, 2019 at 04:22 AM

Hi Mickey,
In my experience (only, don't know how this pans out where you live) it's fine to give up your studies and work on yourself for a year or two. BUT it would be good if you could work during that time, both for gaining real life experience and gaining work experience for whatever career you choose. It is ok to do your degree later than others, but it's not ok to flop around examining your soul for a gap year when you have no previous work experience. Working is often stupid but it gives you a sense of being valued by other people, independence, other points of view, a reality check and something on your CV that tells universities and future employers than you are honest and know how to get up in the morning.

I did my degree at 30. I can vouch for the fact that having a lot of previous life experience made it easier to get through my course of study and leave with an honours degree. After my degree I took a one month computer course and was snapped up in a well-paying job. But I had previously worked in one small job or another since I was 16.

I know that in some countries having a standard career/ studies trajectory might be more important then where I was competing for work.

I host students from different parts of Europe and have seen a range of successful, and some very unsuccessful people who are unhappy in their studies. So I'm talking from that perspective also. It's easy to get lost in your inner world and inner arguments when you haven't been much involved in the outside world - but even the students who couldn't get themselves out of bed before midday eventually found something inspiring. You do have to be realistic about what universities and employers need from candidates however.

That's all just my personal experience. Mostly my life has been a mess, but in terms of studies and jobs it worked out well.

Good luck !

Saidso

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky