Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Default May 23, 2019 at 04:41 AM

PS Even if unacceptable from the point of view of your parents, I think that any paid job would be grounding for you as you try to find your direction. I had one student stay with me who had been expelled from all his schools and who worked a 6 am shift filling shelves with a fork lift in a big supermarket. He went on to become president of his university. My own work before studying ranged from getting a basic certification to work with young children, to making costumes for movies, with retail/ cleaning/ babysitting/ driving jobs sandwiched in between. I started out really shy and met a huge, huge range of different people and experiences on my way.

I think that it's important if you are going to investigate yourself emotionally to also have some external anchor on the cogs whirring round in the world outside your own family.

Also, I am always saying to unhappy students "get out there socially" - join or start a film club, a book club; volunteer to work with animals; do some research into some business that interests you. Like someone said above "take ACTION". Action doesn't work as an escape from inner conflicts, but it is important to routinely step away from them in order to go forward. Get up in the morning, go out, forget your self for a few hours.

If you have a peer group they can help you in all sorts of ways to calm down things with your parents. Offer you time away from them, offer understanding...

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky