Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2011
314 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 23, 2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiemom2007 View Post
My advice is to not get caught up in the latest lingo. The DID language has changed quite a bit since 1990 when I was diagnosed and it will continue to change. Describe your inner process in your own words with your own understanding of how you function in the world. It's a more powerful expression of how you see yourself, your experience, and the disorder. If your therapist wants to attach psych jargon to your process, that's fine. However, the words don't change or validate your inner experience. I think they just get in the way of clarity. The less we see ourselves as a collection of jargon, the easier we can relate to ourselves as unique individuals with our own unique coping strategies.

I've dealt with DID since I was four. I understood time did funny things when I was in kindergarten. Living in a situation where I was surrounded by schizophrenics, I also learned that reality was unpredictable as well. I went through treatment never using the term "protector", "critic", "fragment", "alter" ...etc. I shared my head with 7 other people who had names, ages, and unique sets of memories, skills, and deficits. It was my description of my inner process that helped me relate to myself. It was intuitive. I never jargoned up. I learned to understand what was going on inside me in an evolutionary way. I'm sure the hospital where I was admitted for a year and my psychologist had their own terms, but they always used my understanding rather than lingo when treating me. They were right. Imposing yet another kind of reality onto me would have been destructive.
I really like this post and I agree with it.I never went into therapy talking about a protector or any other lingo that was being used.I did try to learn it by searching online forums but all it did was confuse me,especially since people tend to have their own definitions and there was so much misinformation out there.

There was a young alter who's job was to pretend to be an adult(I knew this after becoming co-conscious).I searched online trying to figure out what the term for her would be and found so many different things, everything from an age slider to a poser.I was confused about it until she talked to my therapist.She told him "I'm not really an adult'" and he said "that's ok,you are who you are'"And that was true and the most simplistic description of something I was trying so hard to find a term/label for.

I didn't worry about using proper terms and lingo after that.I described my experiences instead.And even now after being integrated I still don't know what all the terms mean ,I read some here that I have no clue what they mean.It seemed important at first when I was first diagnosed and trying to understand but it really didn't matter when it came to healing from it.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
FearLess47

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, FearLess47