Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust90 View Post
This morning I woke up after sleeping for 12 hours. I didn't notice anything strange immediately but after a while whilst drinking my coffee at the table, I started feeling floaty, sort of lightheaded and weak. I checked my blood pressure and it was normal. I felt like I was in a dream, like I would wake up any minute. I still feel this way hours later, it seems to go away a little and then return. My body feels numb, and I don't feel like I have full control of it. Is this depersonalization?
Im sorry but we can not tell you what is going on in your body and whether this is a dissociative problem or not (see disclaimer at bottom of every page of these community forums)

my suggestion is contact your treatment providers. they will be able to tell you what this is in you.

what I can tell you is how my treatment providers figure out when something is a dissociation problem vs other problems...

dissociative problems have a trigger,
A trigger is anything positive or negative that is so extreme that the brain goes into its normal flight or fight response....

examples... going through a traumatic event, being so stressed out that you cant handle it. getting so worked up over something that your brain automatically shuts down your emotions and feelings and physical sensations. theres more to dissociating than just sitting down to have coffee and feeling depersonalized...

let me show you what I mean...

I can sit down and have my coffee and have a normal response to things like the caffiene in the coffee, my medication side effects or what I see on tv or listening to my wife and children. I can feel the normal version of being spacy and disconnected doing these things.

on the dissociative side...

sit down have my coffee and on tv a news report of someone going through the same work related traumatic event will cause me to have my dissociative reaction... my heart speeds up heading for a panic attack, my brain takes in that something traumatic is happening, the part of my brain that regulates the flight or fight response does its split second reaction of knowing whether or not I have the skills needed to handle this situation and if not its flight time where all my emotions are shut down (dissociative symptom called numness and detachment and mentally disconnected) if the brain decides to go into fight mode my brain remains active and I think about what I need to do to take care of this situation.

my suggestion is sit down and think about whether or not something traumatic/ triggering was going on for you at that moment that you felt these problems. if so theres a huge chance its a dissociative thing, if not, if there was no trauma or triggering thing happening then theres a huge change that its just your bodys normal reactions to normal every day things like the coffee, your medications, too little or too much sleep, dehydration and other things.

since you have a history of seizures you might also want to check that out with your treatment providers.

in any event this site does not allow us to diagnose what things are inside you, so to find out whats going on and why you felt this way you will need to contact your treatment provider, like the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says.....
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
Laurel1562, MickeyCheeky, Wanderlust90