View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default May 24, 2019 at 09:49 AM

This answer has certainly changed over the years. I guess nowadays my favorite beverage is my homemade unsweetened iced tea, which I brew with Lipton tea and fresh mint. In the past, I might have said Cosmopolitans, then wine, then beer. Also gin and tonics. Though I have not fully eliminated alcohol from my life, I have limited it significantly. I usually only drink one half to 1 drink max, with dinner, and not every day. Maybe 2 drinks on a special holiday, like New Year's Eve. I now only ever drink wine or beer, when I do drink alcoholic beverages. I have totally eliminated hard liquor. It was ONLY when I limited my alcohol consumption to this new degree that I really accumulated longer and fuller stable periods. In addition, other issues, like dissociative symptoms, migraines, and possible seizure activity, also ceased.

Of course my psychiatrist wants me to drink ZERO alcoholic beverages. For a long time I also had an "alcohol dependence" diagnosis. Then I managed to get my psychiatrist to "downgrade" it to "alcohol abuse", both DSM-IV dxs. Eventually I asked him to remove that type of diagnosis altogether, but I'm not 100% sure he has. I get such thorough blood work done by two other doctors that I don't see my dx codes printed on anything from pdoc's computer anymore. He has handwritten my dx on a particular document, but he only indicated "Bipolar type 1 disorder".

Q: What is a bad habit you had at one point that you managed to stop?