Magnate

Member Since Jul 2014
183 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 24, 2019 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethesun View Post
I've always wondered this. Over the years I've seen many instances where people are recognized or receive an award for something that is the opposite of what they are. Once at work a woman received "Employee of the Month" recognition, yet everyday she showed up to the office wearing bedroom slippers and would bring a crockpot to plug in at her desk so she could eat and socialize at her desk instead of doing her job. And customer complaints proved she was not doing her job. I've seen students at schools receive awards for "being kind and inspiring others", when in fact they're known by the student body for being rude and are observed pushing other students in the hallway. Yet consider this, if you go to the hospital for brain surgery, are you going to want a surgeon that got to where he/she is by brown nosing? (Yes, i've seen people get into dental school and medical school because of who they know). It seems that somewhere in this world, honesty, integrity and skills should still matter, right? Or do I need to accept that brown nosing gets you places and skills don't?

Brown nosing works some of the time for some people that know how to manipulate but if you ask if that's the way it always works I would give you a resounding no. Thing is brown nosing only gets someone so far even in the times it works, it doesn't work on people that re able to recognize the behavior and are above such manipulations. The people that give awards to those that brown nose are those that are likely just as shallow. Brown nosing will get you somewhere in the immediate situation but when things change and they always do... if you haven't been earning the accolades, trust me your lack of work and proven skills will come out in the end. It sucks to see people that seem to in the moment, get ahead but keep in mind that those people likely not, at least not in most cases, keep getting ahead by this.

Slow and steady wins the race, always always always . Stick to having integrity, honesty and hard work and trust me, it will always pay off but usually it is a longer term reward, that you don't see right away. In y 40 or so years of working this is one lesson that I've found has been true in my life

Ignore the b*** kissers and stay the course, you'll not only end up ahead more than likely but even at worst it's not ahead but equal to others, you have a legacy of knowing you EARNED your position and place in life and that, my friend is far more reward than the shiny award that sits on a shelf and eventually just collects dust.
s4ndm4n2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lovethesun

Thanks for this!
healingme4me, lovethesun