View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 24, 2019 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyChemist View Post
I know there are many things about me that are due to mental illness and/or maladaptive behavior. My "attainment seeking" (in my words) behavior is also one of them. It's how my parents think and how I was taught to think. I do not think like my parents for the most part but after all I am only a human and as I still live with my broken parents I have to at least for some part "think like them."

Back to the maladaptive behavior, it's one of the things I know but I've planned to change it after I become independent.
I was raised with that type of thinking too LC. I understand you. My mother pushed and pushed even though I already got the great grades and wanted to learn. I think her awful pushing and pressure is one of the main reasons I ended up terribly depressed from ~ 14 to 18. I cannot understand why some parents don't just want their children to be happy and well. Anyway, at this point in my life I am actively working on un-learning a lot of the unhealthy ideas they pushed on me even when I was 5 years old. I didn't have any balance back then....study, study, study and no hobbies. Later when I had moved out and completed college, it turned into work, work, work. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I started to get sick.

I was trying to be helpful but if it didn't come across that way, I take it back You have my support and I want you to be happy. How you decide to be happy is entirely up to you
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous40127