View Single Post
starfishing

Member Since May 2017
Default May 24, 2019 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
I honestly don't see what difference it would make. It isn't like therapy is a real science either - even those guys talk about it being "an art"
For me, once someone has decided to become a therapist, the boat has already sailed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I am a biomedical scientist and can confidently say that a lot of things drive (and distort) science that have little to do with objectivity and a desire to discover/create something useful. And I think many therapists and therapy-related theories claim far more bizarre things than homeopathy as "treatment". I am certainly not surprised if someone who decides to be a therapist has other woo-wooish interests and offerings as well - it is kinda consistent.
I agree that there's a pseudoscientific streak in a lot of therapy that makes some therapists particularly prone to stuff like homeopathy. But to me therapy is questionable like some poorly regulated, poorly studied herbal remedies are questionable, not like homeopathy is questionable. There are some herbal remedies that have been shown scientifically to work quite well, others that are useless, others that are harmful--and they might even all be labeled the same thing, and you can't necessarily know which you're getting based on what it's called.

Meanwhile, the homeopathy equivalent of therapy would be paying a therapist, then going and sitting in an empty room by yourself for an hour every week. And the therapist saying that it's more effective the further away they are from the empty room. Which I suppose could be true in a sense if the therapist is terrible, but that doesn't make the empty room not empty, and it doesn't mean I think it's ethical for the therapist to expect payment for staying far away!
starfishing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, LabRat27, Xynesthesia2