View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
Default May 25, 2019 at 01:50 AM

One reason I think homeopathic remedies have taken hold is the distrust and fear of "Big Pharma". People are quick to discount all research out of a fear or a conspiracy by the drug companies to "drug us" or have all of us on meds vs. natural treatments. I am not sure why this has become a thing lately. Yes, drug companies have a financial stake in things but that doesnt mean their research or drugs are useless. It doesnt mean that homeopathy is better than drugs or research. Many homeopathic remedies and supplements are unregulated and have little to no research to back up their claims of safety and efficacy. Someone who is suspicious of drugs will then say its because the natural companies can't afford a corporate sponsor or arent allowed to compete with medications. I do not believe that drug companies all have a bottom line of keeping us sick or having us all on meds. The review process for drugs and research is pretty extensive. The fact that the FDA has not made it a law that natural companies prove their claims I think lends further legitimacy to the idea that drugs companies are not evil. I think any claim or remedy should have to have evidence and peer reviewed, cite research to back up their claims.
I take issue when homeopathic "experts" tout claims of curing or treating illness and sickness by natural methods because they can often influence people to look elsewhere for valid treatments when those people desperately need medical intervention. In my area there is a woman who advertises her services in naturopathy for things like cancer and other diseases. Her selling point is "treatments that the drug companies do not want you to know". My neighbors' cousin went to her when she felt like chemo was worse for her than the cancer. Her cancer spread and she was very lucky to have decided to treat it after the natural remedies because those remedies didnt do jack for her. She is lucky that her cancer wasnt more aggressive.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127