Thread: CBT on my own?
View Single Post
Xynesthesia2
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default May 25, 2019 at 07:37 AM

Not traditional CBT but I used some concepts and techniques for impulse control mainly, when I was freshly sober and had frequent and intense urges to drink. Also a bit for anxiety. I never thought it would be worth paying a therapist to do it, I can analyze and structure my thought processes and feelings quite easily. The real challenge in the impulse control was not acting on them - merely understanding often was not enough. Anxiety is usually much easier for me also because I've had it in my whole life and learned to kinda automatically detach from it and not let it affect very much what I need to do. It never took away my generalized anxiety but have not had panic attacks, for example, for many years now. I do live a healthier lifestyle than in my youth and I am sure that contributes, but I think also that I recognize symptoms quite easily for what they are and do not let them snowball. As long as I don't use substances or engage in other addictive behaviors, I find it relatively easy to exercise cognitive control. What truly helps to ease the negative feelings though is usually not just knowing what they are, but the behavior modification, when I am able to act against the negative currents and do something productive. That can make most of my anxieties vanish very effectively, but I need to get to the changing behavior part, changing how I internally view things is rarely enough. It's kinda fun though because I enjoy overcoming blocks and trying new things and even just the challenge can feel quite rewarding.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote