View Single Post
Anonymous44076

Default May 25, 2019 at 07:07 PM

Hello thesearethevistas

so sorry you and your brother are struggling I too have a mentally ill brother who rejects help.

His pattern of taking the meds and then stopping is very common. Although the meds can help some folks, many don't feel like themselves on them or struggle with side effects so they stop. Then the old problems return. It's a very tough and heart-wrenching cycle.

You cannot make your brother better. Neither can your parents. I don't know how old he is (a minor or adult?) but we cannot take responsibility for another adult's mental health. If he wants help in the future, he will seek it. You need to honor his boundaries.

What you could do is send him a message....something like:
"I love you. I know you deserve to be happy and well. And I respect that you are the one who chooses what wellness means for you. If you ever want to talk, I am here. I continue to think of you and wish you peace and hope."

You never know....one day he might reach out. Just don't try to push it....that would likely just alienate him further. I would recommend a therapist for your parents....not for your brother since he doesn't want that....but for your parents to receive support and coping strategies.

Wishing peace to you, your brother, and your family
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
thesearethevistas, wonderluster

Thanks for this!
thesearethevistas, wonderluster